Monday, November 13, 2006

Vodka Whip venue destroyed: Edwards No.8 is no more

This is a post to mark the passing of the Edwards No.8 that was burnt down at the weekend. Of the 500 revellers inside, all were evacuated safely.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that if we had been in there after a full pre-match Vodka Whip build up, then the charred remains of numerous aging rockers may have been found, their feet still nailed to the dance floor in a rough circle leaving just enough room for a hip rotation to allow a full 5 player lean back.

Think Pompeii on August 23, 79 AD.

The search for a new venue will begin in earnest. However, we hope to be able to return to Edwards No.8 before too long. We wish the management and staff of the Edwards all the best in their quest to restore theis fine venue to it's former glory.

See below for the full news story.

City nightclub destroyed by fire

A major fire has destroyed a busy nightclub in Birmingham's city centre.
Five hundred people had to be led to safety as the blaze took hold in the early hours at Edward's No.8 club.

Ten people were treated for minor injuries but firefighters, who praised nightclub staff for their actions, say all inside the club escaped.

Up to 50 firefighters tackled the blaze and prevented flames spreading to nearby apartment blocks. Structural tests will be carried out later.

About 25 firefighters remained at the scene in Lower Severn Street on Sunday.
Building evacuated.

Sub divisional officer Gary Yendell, of West Midlands Fire Service, said: "Considering that 500 people [were inside] I think it's a very good success story in terms of the evacuation.

"And that is down to the training of the door staff and the management."

People in city centre apartments watched the drama unfold

Fire crews were first alerted to a fire in a men's toilet at the club at about 0110 GMT, and appliances from across the city were called in.

It was initially feared that clubbers could have been trapped in the burning building but it was later determined that everyone inside had escaped.

One eyewitness, who lives in an apartment block close to the scene, said he could see flames and smoke shooting from the roof of the club.

Rabinder Bhachu, a BBC employee, said: "I was woken by the noise of the fire engines, as well as the smell of smoke coming into my building.

"The club is between two streets, and there seems to be flames coming from either side of the building. It does seem to be spreading."


2 comments:

VodkaWhip said...

The dishonourable member from Yeovil would like to offer an explanation of how this unfortunate event may have transpired: As the article clearly says, the fire started in the gents. Sounds to me like a simple unfortunate coincidence with someone vigorously hair-spraying their poodle-permed mullet in front of the mirror when someone else walked in with a fag in the headstock of their air guitar.

VodkaWhip said...

Obviously we are shocked by the demise of our last whip venue, and wish the management and staff of Edwards No.8 all the best in returning the venue back to normal service as soon as possible.
P.S. If you get chance please enlarge the dancefloor in the back room a bit to give us more space for the leanbacks. Thanks.